Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
I love an accidental culinary creation. This was one of those meals where I started out with a recipe but, improvised with so many ingredients, that it became my own.
You will need
1.5 cups red lentils
7 cups homemade chicken stock (or in a carton or water, whatever you have!)
1 – 2 carrots
1 – 2 sticks of celery
2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 tablespoon garlic
2 tablespoons of curry powder
2 tablespoons coconut oil
8 spring onions (keep some to serve)
1/4 cup raisins (keep some to serve)
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 can coconut milk
handful of coriander
natural chobani yoghurt to serve
What to do with it?
1. Rinse the lentils and place them in a large saucepan with the stock. Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce to simmer.
2. Add in the carrot, celery, half the ginger and garlic.
3. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in another pan, add the coconut oil, remaining garlic and ginger, spring onions, curry powder.
5. Saute for a couple of minutes and then add in the tomato paste and half of the raisins. Saute for a further couple of minutes. Add this into the lentil mixture.
6. Pour in the can of coconut milk and season with salt. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
7. Depending how thick you like your soup, you can add more water.
8. Blitz with a hand held blender until smooth.
9. Serve with chopped coriander, a sprinkle of raisins and spring onions and a dollop of natural chobani yoghurt!
10. Enjoy! Try serving it with some toasted naan bread. You can freeze the leftovers for a rainy day too.